This week’s schedule is all about “dem boyz”, from rap superstars to country folk and everything in between. Here’s what albums and singles are in stores for the week of August 19:
- Currently on the Urban survey with the singles “We Dem Boyz” and followup “You And Your Friends”, rapper Wiz Khalifa huffs and puffs into stores with his newest album, Blacc Hollywood. It’s his first studio effort in a year and a half. That set, O.N.I.F.C., debuted and peaked at #2, but this one, looks like it has a chance to become his first #1 on the Billboard 200. We’ll see! (iTunes)
- Former reality show contestant and now Country act Chase Rice goes for the Bro on his first major label release, Ignite The Night. It features “Ready Set Roll”, which is edging closer to the top ten at the radio format. Given the size of his fan base, this will probably debut somewhere in the top ten (or top five with the slow competition as it is.) (iTunes)
- The legendary Smokey Robinson is back with some pals on Smokey & Friends, a duets album full of remakes of tunes that Robinson had a hand in, whether writing, producing or singing on. Elton John and John Legend are just two acts that feature on it. This should also break into the top ten given the older audience appeal. (iTunes)
- If you’re a fan of the band Mötley Crüe, you’ll want to check out Nashville Outlaws – A Tribute to Mötley Crüe, a compilation of Country artists like Darius Rucker and Rascal Flatts doing their takes on the classics. A cover of “Home Sweet Home” by Justin Moore is currently on the Country chart. (iTunes)
- Other releases out this week include: Buckcherry‘s F–k (EP) (iTunes), Colton Dixon‘s Anchor (iTunes), Dr. John‘s Ske-Dat-De-Dat… The Spirit Of Satch (iTunes), DragonForce‘s Maximum Overload (iTunes), Imogen Heap‘s Sparks (iTunes), Joel Crouse‘s Even The River Runs (iTunes), Kimbra‘s The Golden Echo (iTunes) and the K. Michelle soundtrack to VH1’s Rebellious Soul – The Musical (iTunes).
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “Edge Of A Revolution”, the latest from rockers Nickelback. (iTunes)
- “Homegrown Honey”, leading off the latest album by Darius Rucker. (iTunes)
- “Neon Light”, a new single from Country star Blake Shelton. (iTunes)
- “Shake It Off”, a hot new single from Taylor Swift. (iTunes)
Petite pop powerhouse Ariana Grande comes back in a grande way with My Everything next week, but how will others like Brad Paisley and Kem rank in the race? A full preview is coming in seven!