Sunday afternoon means it’s time for the Record Rewind, highlighting the top new tracks that you might’ve missed during the work week, all from my favorite independent acts out there. If it’s on the site, it’s something that you need to check out!
Across the PGTC SoundCloud page and my playlists on Spotify, these stuck out as my favorite independent songs of the week…
ANDREW BELLE – “Down” (iTunes) (Spotify)
Seems like we’ve had a lot of radio singles with the word “down” in their titles recently, so I guess it’s only right to spotlight a digital song that gets “down” with what’s headed up. Of Belle’s set of stand-alone singles during the last year, this is my favorite one so far.
KYLE REYNOLDS – “Friday Saturday Sunday” (iTunes) (Spotify)
So far this year, Nashville singer/songwriter Reynolds has appeared as the featured artist on two solid songs, but it’s his first main-credited single for 2017 that serves future pop perfection for the weekend (as if the title wasn’t a dead giveaway.) It’s pretty catchy!
SMALLPOOLS – “Million Bucks” (iTunes) (Spotify)
After parting ways with RCA, this Los Angeles trio is back to rock the charts with their forthcoming independent EP, The Science Of Letting Go. Though this doesn’t approach “Over & Over” or “Karaoke” for me yet, it fits nicely with their usual aesthetic and sound.
For more great new music, these tunes are worth a listen…
BROADHURST – “Status Quo” (SoundCloud)
Mikey Wax – “Never Letting You Go” (SoundCloud)
Rooney – “Second Chances” (SoundCloud)
Wanderer – “Call Me Crazy (Acoustic)” (SoundCloud)
Want to be featured on this weekly wrap-up? Submit your music to email@example.com and I’ll check our your tunes. Thanks!
“Here” to entertain.
May the 6th be with you… eh, I guess it doesn’t work. Luckily, many of these new releases do work, including two major Country albums and a deeper dive into one singer’s current pop prescription. Here are this week’s new releases:
- KEITH URBAN — Ripcord (iTunes)
- You don’t see a lot of albums released after three radio singles nowadays, but Urban waited it out, and his album is now in stores. His current release at Country radio, “Wasted Time”, is just outside the top ten at the moment. That collaboration with Pitbull, co-produced by Nile Rodgers, is sure to be… interesting. Anyways, Urban’s set is likely to be the highest debut on next week’s Billboard 200, likely in the top five.
- COLE SWINDELL — You Should Be Here (iTunes)
- Last month, Swindell topped the Country airplay chart with the title song from his sophomore album. Now, he’s in the hunt for his next #1, perhaps with follow-up single “Middle Of A Memory”. You’ll find Dierks Bentley on one track, but most of the 14 cuts are sung by Swindell himself. Look for it to debut in the top ten (if it’s not top five.)
- MIKE POSNER — At Night, Alone. (iTunes)
- It was this week in 2010 that Posner’s breakthrough hit, “Cooler Than Me”, first entered the top 40 on CHR radio. Now, he has the biggest single of his career with a remix of “I Took A Pill In Ibiza”. Both that version, as mixed by a Norwegian duo named SeeB, and the original can be found on this album.
- GOO GOO DOLLS — Boxes (iTunes)
- Three decades after first forming, the Buffalo act is still going strong, recently reaching the top 20 on Hot AC radio with “So Alive”. They’ve had a nice run of top ten albums with their studio sets, and we’ll see if this can continue it.
- More albums out this week: Andy Black‘s The Shadow Side (iTunes), Anohni‘s Hopelessness (iTunes), Cyndi Lauper‘s Detour (iTunes), Gregory Porter‘s Take Me To The Alley (iTunes), Holy White Hounds‘s Sparkle Sparkle (iTunes), KAYTRANADA‘s 99.9% (iTunes), Rooney‘s Washed Away (iTunes), Angry Birds (iTunes)
- More EPs out this week: MUNA‘s Loudspeaker (iTunes), Vérité‘s Living (iTunes)
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “Burn The Witch”, Radiohead (iTunes)
- “Can’t Stop The Feeling”, Justin Timberlake (iTunes)
- “Dark Necessities”, Red Hot Chili Peppers (iTunes)
- “Darker Than Dawn”, Cobi (iTunes)
- “Fragile”, Prince Fox featuring Hailee Steinfeld (iTunes)
- “Grass Ain’t Greener”, Chris Brown (iTunes)
- “Happy”, Annabel Jones (iTunes)
- “Hotter Than Hell”, Dua Lipa (iTunes)
- “Into You”, Ariana Grande (iTunes)
- “In Common”, Alicia Keys (iTunes)
- “Me Too”, Meghan Trainor (iTunes)
- “Take That”, CRUISR (iTunes)
- “Talk Too Much”, COIN (iTunes)
- “What Is And What Should Never Be”, Train (iTunes)
- “Write On Me”, Fifth Harmony (iTunes)
- “You And Me”, Marc E. Bassy featuring G-Eazy (iTunes)
We’ll see you next week for new releases from Jennifer Nettles, Kygo, Meghan Trainor and more.