While you’re out shopping for some American Apparel underwear down at the mall, you’ll need a designer CD or two to complete the trip. (Maybe.) Here’s what albums and singles are in stores for the week of July 22:
- Get ready to scream your lungs out: the Australian boy band known as 5 Seconds Of Summer have a hot album on shelves this week, their self-titled full-length set. The current radio release from it is “Amnesia”, which recently went top 50 at CHR radio. There’s no doubt that the quartet’s set will enter at #1 on the Billboard 200 and replace whomever wins this week’s battle for the top between Jason Mraz and “Weird Al” Yankovic. (iTunes)
- In a relatively quiet week, there aren’t a whole lot of notable releases, but one that’s caught my attention as of late is Jesse McCartney‘s In Technicolor, featuring a great single in “Superbad”. It’s an independent release, so don’t expect it to be debuting pretty high up, but given the pre-release tracks from the effort so far, it sounds like a very exciting set. Definitely check this one out. (iTunes)
- There’s Trouble In Paradise… at least that’s the title of La Roux‘s latest album. Best known for their 2010 single “Bulletproof”, the former duo is now just soloist Elly Jackson. Unlikely to repeat success of their self-titled set, it’s still garnering praise from the blogosphere and critics. (iTunes)
- Other releases out this week include: Anberlin‘s Lowburn (iTunes), Common‘s Nobody’s Smiling (iTunes), Fozzy‘s Do You Wanna Start A War (iTunes), Kaskade‘s I Remember (iTunes), R5‘s Heart Made Up On You (EP) (iTunes), Yes‘s Heaven & Earth (iTunes) and Young Rising Sons‘s Young Rising Sons (EP) (iTunes).
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “Bend Ova”, the new single from rapper Lil Jon featuring Tyga. (iTunes)
- “Burnin’ It Down”, new from Country star Jason Aldean. (iTunes)
- “Cool Kid”, a debut from rockers The Eeries. (iTunes)
- “Shell Shocked”, a collaboration between Juicy J, Wiz Khalifa and Ty Dolla $ign. (iTunes)
- “Tough Love”, the latest single from singer Jessie Ware. (iTunes)
- “Wait On Me”, a new U.S. release from U.K. band Rixton. (iTunes)
Next week, both Eric Clapton and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers try for the crown on the album chart — you’d think it was 1978 all over again. How will they do against newcomer Shawn Mendes and hard rockers Theory Of A Deadman? A preview is coming in seven!