There’s a battle brewing on the schedule this week with at least three acts looking to put up six figure numbers — perhaps one would call it “a sky full of stars”, yes? (NOTE: some releases may still not be out until Tuesday dependent on record label availability/iTunes response time.) Here’s what albums and singles are in stores for the week of May 19:
- Call it “Magic”, call it new: today marks the release of the new album from Coldplay, Ghost Stories, which has been streaming on iTunes for the past few days. At nine tracks in length, it’s the band’s shortest album to date. (A Target exclusive deluxe edition lifts that total to twelve.) The current radio single from it is “A Sky Full Of Stars”, co-produced with Avicii. Expect this to debut at #1 on the album chart just as their last three albums have. (iTunes) (Read my review of Ghost Stories)
- Following in a close second place is the latest effort from Country singer Brantley Gilbert, titled Just As I Am. Lead single “Bottoms Up” recently topped the Country chart and second single “Small Town Throwdown”, a collaboration with Justin Moore and Thomas Rhett, just made a significant debut on that same chart as aided by a first day Clear Channel deal. Will it reach Platinum status as Halfway To Heaven did? It could happen. (iTunes)
- Former American Idol winner Phillip Phillips goes Behind The Light on his sophomore album, which features the current top ten Hot AC hit, “Raging Fire”. Though the song hasn’t garnered as much airplay or sales as “Home” or “Gone, Gone, Gone” as of yet, the album is a lock for a high debut thanks to his large fan base. (iTunes)
- Looking to score their seventh top ten album on the Billboard 200, The Roots are out with their latest effort, …And Then You Shoot Your Cousin. I’m sure you’ll be seeing them promote it at their late night home, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, this week. No singles from it have charted thus far. (iTunes)
- Move over, Frozen, there’s a new soundtrack in town catching a lot of early attention. It’s a collection of songs from the forthcoming film The Fault In Our Stars, due in movie theaters on June 6. The set features all original songs by acts like Birdy, Ed Sheeran, Grouplove and more. (Feels sold separately.) (iTunes)
- Other releases out this week include: Afrojack‘s Forget The World (iTunes), Conor Oberst‘s Upside Down Mountain (iTunes), Hedley‘s Wild Life (iTunes), Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band‘s Goin’ Home (iTunes), Melanie Martinez‘s Dollhouse (EP) (iTunes) and the original Broadway soundtrack to The Bridges Of Madison County (iTunes).
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “Bartender”, the first single from the forthcoming album by Lady Antebellum. (iTunes)
- “Keep Us Safe”, a live track from Country singer Carrie Underwood. (iTunes)
- “Get Her Back”, a new single from Robin Thicke. Wonder who this song is about? (iTunes)
- “Love Someone”, new from Jason Mraz‘s forthcoming album. (iTunes)
- “Mission”, a new single from rapper Lupe Fiasco. (iTunes)
- “Somethin’ Bad”, a collaboration between Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood. (iTunes)
Mariah Carey‘s Me. I Am Mariah… The Elusive Chanteuse comes into the light next week, while Austin Mahone makes a splash with his EP titled The Secret. Which musical mystery will take the crown? A full preview is coming on Tuesday!