The old and the new converge on this last New Music Friday of August, and there’s plenty of time to sample all of that late summer rush of music. The question is, who will you listen to first? Here are the notable albums and singles released this week:
- BARBRA STREISAND — Encore: Movie Partners Sing Broadway (iTunes)
- Several of the titles in this week’s report could end up at #1 on the Billboard 200 next week, with this new set of duets from the legendary Streisand and friends looking like it might follow 2014’s Partners to the top of the chart. She’ll be on The Tonight Show later this evening to promote the album with a performance featuring actor Alec Baldwin.
- FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE — Dig Your Roots (iTunes)
- The popular male duo has a crossover hit in “H.O.L.Y.”, a recent #1 on the Country radio chart that currently sits just under the top 20 at Hot AC radio, with “May We All” now racing up the top 40 at their core format. The set will likely have a solid first week, but will probably be under what 2014’s Anything Goes did in its debut frame.
- BRITNEY SPEARS — Glory (iTunes)
- After 2013’s Britney Jean and a series of radio singles failed to make a lasting impact on the charts, the superstar has a chance to reclaim her former chart glory with her ninth studio album. It’s led by “Make Me…”, a recent top 20 song on the CHR/Top 40 radio chart.
- INGRID MICHAELSON — It Doesn’t Have To Make Sense (iTunes)
- As “Hell No” remains in the top 20 on Hot AC radio, Michaelson is out with her seventh studio album. She’s hit a high of #5 on the Billboard 200 with her previous two releases. Can she make it three in a row?
- CARLY RAE JEPSEN — E•MO•TION: Side B (iTunes)
- Are we worthy of another pop music treasure? This set commemorates the first anniversary of E•MO•TION, released worldwide on August 21 of last year. It’s sure to be another fun listen.
- More albums out this week: Banks & Steelz‘s Anything But Words (iTunes), Butch Walker‘s Stay Gold (iTunes), Cassius‘s Ibifornia (iTunes), Celine Dion‘s Encore Un Soir (iTunes), CNCO‘s Primera Cita (iTunes), DREAMERS‘s This Album Does Not Exist (iTunes), Futuristic‘s As Seen On The Internet (iTunes), Glass Animals‘s How To Be A Human Being (iTunes), Tesla‘s Mechanical Resonance (Live) (iTunes), Unspoken‘s Follow Through (iTunes), Young Thug‘s No, My Name Is JEFFREY (iTunes), XOXO (TV Soundtrack) (iTunes)
- More EPs out this week: Prophets Of Rage‘s The Party’s Over (iTunes)
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “Atlantis”, Bridgit Mendler featuring Kaiydo (iTunes)
- “Crazy”, James TW (iTunes)
- “Homeland”, Chord Overstreet (iTunes)
- “Hurt Like Hell”, The Heydaze (iTunes)
- “La La”, Laura Marano (iTunes)
- “Lose Control”, Matt Simons (iTunes)
- “Nobody Better”, Jakubi (iTunes)
- “Perfect Story”, Idina Menzel (iTunes)
- “Quicksand”, Tom Chaplin (iTunes)
- “Rhythm & Blues”, The Head And The Heart (iTunes)
- “Something Wrong”, Timeflies (iTunes)
- “Tag Team”, Lawrence Taylor (iTunes)
- “Traumatized”, Grouplove (iTunes)
- “Wish That You Were Here”, Florence + The Machine (iTunes)
We’ll see you next week for new releases from A Day To Remember, Dagny, James Vincent McMorrow and more.