At this time one year ago, the last New Music Tuesday (technically, a special Monday date on June 29) was taking place. It certainly was an interesting transition to Friday, but we got through it! Back then, rapper Meek Mill rocketed to #1 on the album chart. It’s time to see which acts are in the mix for the next chart-topper on the Billboard 200:
- MAXWELL — blackSUMMERS’night (iTunes)
- Waiting seven years to release an album is a mighty long time. I suppose that wait is better than the eight years that it took for his 2009 album to see the light of day. The leadoff single from the second album in this R&B singer’s trilogy, “Lake By The Ocean”, holds at #1 on the Urban AC chart. Can this set finally knock Drake off the top?
- SNOOP DOGG — COOLAID (iTunes)
- The legendary rapper’s latest set is an Apple Music exclusive, where it’s been streaming in full for the last two days. It features “Point Seen Money Gone”, featuring Jeremih, which was recently serviced to Rhythmic and Urban radio. A good look across iTunes could give this a larger total than expected, so stay tuned.
- BLINK-182 — California (iTunes)
- They’ve got their first #1 single on the Alternative chart since 2004’s “I Miss You”, and the California trio is definitely excited about having their first album in nearly five years hit stores. Look for it somewhere in the top five next week.
- AMERICAN AUTHORS — What We Live For (iTunes)
- The New York quartet is out with their second album, featuring three singles that hit the top 30 on Hot AC radio. The most recent of the three is the title track. You can also find the act in a media campaign for Wendy’s.
- More albums out this week: Bat For Lashes‘s The Bride (iTunes), Grace‘s FMA (iTunes), MAGIC!‘s Primary Colours (iTunes)
- More EPs out this week: Secret Weapons‘s SW (iTunes)
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “Alright”, Young Summer (iTunes)
- “Backroad”, VOKES featuring Nevve (iTunes)
- “Body Say”, Demi Lovato (iTunes)
- “Christina’s Song”, MAX (iTunes)
- “Fool’s Gold”, Dagny featuring BØRNS (iTunes)
- “Good Company”, Jake Owen (iTunes)
- “Mad About U”, CAPPA (iTunes)
- “Sunshine”, POWERS (iTunes)
We’ll see you next week for new releases from Kenny Chesney, ScHoolboy Q, Switchfoot and more.