As January comes to a close, we have our last New Music Friday of the month, featuring big hair and big releases. Here are this week’s notable albums and singles:
- SIA — This Is Acting (iTunes)
- Singer/songwriter Furler’s latest album revolves around the concept of tracks that were written with other acts in mind; thus, it’s acting. Several instant grat tracks have been released from the album, but only “Alive” has gone to radio, receiving minor support on both the CHR and Hot AC panels. With big streaming numbers, it could land in the top five on next week’s chart.
- RIHANNA — ANTI (iTunes)
- It’s hard to tell how this Barbadian singer’s latest effort is going to perform this week in terms of sales numbers. A messy rollout of singles, an accidental album leak on Wednesday and some free giveaways could hinder its overall performance. Still, it could debut at #1, much like her newest single “Work” flew to the top of the sales chart.
- CHARLIE PUTH — Nine Track Mind (iTunes)
- Originally intended for release back in November, the New Jersey performer’s first full-length set is out this week and features “One Call Away”, his current radio hit. Puth has his mind on a top ten debut on the Billboard 200.
- KEVIN GATES — Islah (iTunes)
- This Louisiana rapper has been putting out mixtapes since 2006, but this is his first proper album. Two tracks are selling quite well from the set: current radio single “2 Phones” and the viral hit “Really Really”.
- More albums out this week: Bloc Party‘s Hymns (iTunes), Dream Theater‘s The Astonishing (iTunes), J. Cole‘s Forest Hills Drive: Live From Fayetteville, NC (iTunes), Phil Collins‘s deluxe reissues of Both Sides (iTunes) and Face Value (iTunes), St. Lucia‘s Matter (iTunes), Tedeschi Trucks Band‘s Let Me Get By (iTunes), Tori Kelly‘s Unbreakable Smile (reissue) (iTunes), Wet‘s Don’t You (iTunes)
- More EPs out this week: Massive Attack‘s Ritual Spirit (iTunes)
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “Aftershock”, Cash Cash featuring Jacquie Lee (iTunes)
- “Do Me All Again”, Mackenzie Thoms (iTunes)
- “Graffiti”, The Cadillac Three (iTunes)
- “Hypnotized”, Akon (iTunes)
- “In The Name Of You”, Elton John (iTunes)
- “LA Confidential”, Tory Lanez (iTunes)
- “Lean On”, Campsite Dream (iTunes)
- “Learning”, Anderson East (iTunes)
- “Pillowtalk”, Zayn Malik (iTunes)
- “Rita Mae Young”, The Record Company (iTunes)
- “Southern Boy”, Jordan Rager featuring Jason Aldean (iTunes)
- “Torches”, Daughtry (iTunes)
We’ll see you next week for new releases from Charles Kelley, Elton John, Wiz Khalifa and more.