This week’s New Music Friday has a few more ideas for your last-minute Christmas music shopping. These acts are ready to sleigh the charts, so watch out! Here’s a look at this week’s top new albums and singles:
- CAGE THE ELEPHANT — Tell Me I’m Pretty (iTunes)
- With “Mess Around” well on its way to becoming a #1 single (#3 currently) on the Alternative survey, it looks like this era from the Kentucky band is going to be another successful one. By the way, if they do make it to the top, it’ll be the sixth #1 for them at the format. It should debut somewhere in the top 20, given the higher holiday sales.
- CHRIS BROWN — Royalty (iTunes)
- Several singles from Brown’s newest album have gone to radio, like “Liquor” and “Zero”, but with quick peaks and no longevity, the era’s been a bit messy. Currently, “Back To Sleep” is surging at Urban stations. The set will still have an okay debut, but it certainly won’t be as large as X‘s last year.
- MONICA — Code Red (iTunes)
- This album marks the R&B singer’s first studio set since 2012 and it’s led by the single “Just Right For Me”, which got as high as the top 20 on both Urban and Urban AC radio recently. The album features several collaborations.
- More albums out this week: Ariana Grande‘s Christmas & Chill (iTunes), Baroness‘s Purple (iTunes), Pusha T‘s King Push – Darkest Before Dawn: The Prelude (iTunes), Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Soundtrack) (iTunes)
- More EPs out this week: Jordan Sweeto‘s Evil Little Genius (iTunes), MAX‘s Wrong (iTunes), Sounds Like Harmony‘s Smile! (I’m Not Okay) (iTunes)
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “Bad Like Yuh”, Samantha J (iTunes)
- “Better Place”, Rachel Platten (iTunes)
- “Cheap Thrills”, Sia (iTunes)
- “Did I”, Kehlani (iTunes)
- “Hey You”, Mr Hudson (iTunes)
- “New Level”, A$AP Ferg featuring Future (iTunes)
- “Simple Song”, John Paul White (iTunes)
We’ll see you in the new year for coverage of 2016’s notable releases. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!