This week’s New Music Friday is Full of notable releases for the first week of December. After all, it is the heart of Q4 and there’s a need for new music before Christmas. Here’s a look at this week’s top new albums and singles:
- COLDPLAY — A Head Full Of Dreams (iTunes)
- It’s looking like Adele will likely grab a third week at #1 with 25, which means a second-place finish for this group is a sad end to their streak of four chart-topping studio albums in a row. That being said, I think they’re doing just fine. It is led by “Adventure Of A Lifetime”, the current #2 song on AAA radio and a top ten on the Alternative chart. Will the bevy of featured artists and poppier sound give this era some longevity? Stay tuned.
- TROYE SIVAN — Blue Neighbourhood (iTunes)
- Sivan has built up a huge following on YouTube in the past several years, and his two major-label EPs both peaked at #5 on the Billboard 200 about a year apart. Despite this, he’s had no major radio play here, and that could ultimately shift some units. We’ll see what happens when “Youth” is sent to pop radio in January. Look for this in the top five.
- RICK ROSS — Black Market (iTunes)
- Thus far, five out of Ross’s seven studio albums have debuted at #1 on the album chart, which is a pretty solid batting average. This one is going to miss, but it’ll definitely keep his top ten streak alive at eight. “Sorry” is the current radio single from it, a current top 20 hit (and climbing) at Urban radio, and it features Chris Brown.
- G-EAZY — When It’s Dark Out (iTunes)
- The 26-year-old hip hop artist from Oakland is out with his second major-label album today, which features the song “Me, Myself & I”, a collaboration with Beba Rexha. It’s approaching the top 30 at Rhythmic radio. Look for it in the top ten, but it’ll likely have a lower entry than the #3 debut of his last effort.
- More albums out this week: Babyface‘s Return Of The Tender Lover (iTunes), Bette Midler‘s A Gift Of Love (iTunes), Bruce Springsteen‘s The Ties That Bind: The River Collection (iTunes), Curren$y‘s Canal Street Confidential (iTunes), Fleetwood Mac‘s Tusk (Deluxe Reissue) (iTunes), Jeremih‘s Late Nights (iTunes), Kid Cudi‘s Speedin’ Bullet 2 Heaven (iTunes), Pimp C‘s Long Live The Pimp (iTunes), The Music of Nashville: Original Soundtrack Season 4, Volume 1 (iTunes)
- More EPs out this week: FERN‘s 68 And Douglas (iTunes), Jessie James Decker‘s This Christmas (iTunes), Mainland‘s Outcast (iTunes)
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “Ain’t Too Cool”, LunchMoney Lewis (iTunes)
- “FloiDada”, Animal Collective (iTunes)
- “Genghis Khan”, Miike Snow (iTunes)
- “Livin’ The Dream”, Drake White (iTunes)
- “My D**k”, 3OH!3 (iTunes)
- “New York City”, The Knocks featuring Cam’Ron (iTunes)
- “One And Only”, Royal Tongues (iTunes)
- “Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree/Winter Wonderland”, Straight No Chaser (iTunes)
- “Seasick Dream”, Jack Johnson (iTunes)
- “Start A Riot”, BANNERS (iTunes)
- “Stay”, Kygo featuring Maty Noyes (iTunes)
- “Steady”, Chrisette Michele (iTunes)
- “Too Late To Say Goodbye”, Cage The Elephant (iTunes)
Next week, we’ll have an update with new albums from August Alsina, Cam, R. Kelly and more. See you then!