This week’s New Music Friday leads our rhythm nation into one of the cool comeback stories of the year, with a handful of other new sets trying to take control from Miss Jackson (if they’re nasty.) Here’s a look at the week’s new album and single releases:
- JANET JACKSON — Unbreakable (iTunes)
- It’s been all work and “No Sleeep” for the legendary performer as she continues her World Tour through the end of November before a break until the start of the year. Meanwhile, her first studio album in seven years is in stores. It features the aforementioned “Sleeep”, a #1 on the Urban AC chart, while second single “BURNITUP!” (with Missy Elliott) was recently serviced to radio. Look for it to be one of next week’s top debuts.
- TAMAR BRAXTON — Calling All Lovers (iTunes)
- With her role on the daytime talk show The Real and her new single gaining at radio called “Catfish”, Braxton has a good presence in the media today. Back in 2013, her Love And War album debuted at #2 on the Billboard 200, and though her opening frame may not be as large this time, she could potentially find herself in the top five again.
- AVICII — Stories (iTunes)
- It’s been a rough time for this DJ/producer at radio here over the past year or so, with two singles pulled at the last minute, another single that stalled beneath the top 40 and a current one (“For A Better Day”) that’s doing very little outside of overnight spins. Perhaps his latest studio album will perform slightly better.
- SEVENDUST — Kill The Flaw (iTunes)
- This Atlanta group has been on the rock scene since the mid-90’s, and their latest effort is their first studio set since the spring of 2013. Single “Thank You” is in the top 20 on the Active Rock chart. Since 2003, they’ve had a string of top 20 debuts (six studio albums in a row.) Will this be the seventh to do so?
- More albums out this week: Clutch‘s Psychic Warfare (iTunes), Collective Soul‘s See What You Started By Continuing (iTunes), Dave East‘s Hate Me Now (iTunes), Eagles Of Death Metal‘s Zipper Down (iTunes), Falls‘s Omaha (iTunes), For Today‘s Wake (iTunes), Joe Bonamassa‘s Live At Radio City Music Hall (iTunes), Matt Nathanson‘s Show Me Your Fangs (iTunes), Paul McCartney‘s reissues of Pipes Of Peace (iTunes) and Tug Of War (iTunes), Queensryche‘s Condition Human (iTunes), Rudimental‘s We The Generation (iTunes), The Winery Dogs‘s Hot Streak (iTunes), Trivium‘s Silence In The Snow (iTunes)
- More EPs out this week:
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “Carter & Cash”, Tor Miller (iTunes)
- “Me & The Rhythm”, Selena Gomez (iTunes)
- “Player”, Tinashe (iTunes)
- “Something To Believe In”, A Silent Film (iTunes)
- “Testarossa Music”, ZHU (iTunes)
- “Victorious”, Panic! At The Disco (iTunes)
- “Wake Up”, The Vamps (iTunes)
Next Friday, our preview will include new albums from R. City, Selena Gomez, The Game and more. See you then!