As the SXSW festivities get people loaded into Austin, the album chart is about to get loaded with a number of big releases. It’s certainly a diverse list, much like the conference. Here are the albums and singles that are new in stores for the week of March 17:
- It was quite a roller coaster ride last night as Kendrick Lamar‘s To Pimp A Butterfly album was uploaded, then erased and then uploaded again at iTunes in multiple versions, followed by Spotify, Amazon and other retailers. It appears that everything is now in place for proper sales and data numbers to take effect and the album will almost certainly be at the top of next week’s Billboard 200. Given the early kerfuffle, it’s unclear just how well this will do, but plan on some good commercial and critical love. (iTunes)
- Moved up after an album leak several weeks ago, Welsh singer and songwriter Marina & The Diamonds is back with FROOT, her first album since 2012. No singles have been issued to radio from the set, but several songs blasted into the top ten on iTunes upon their release. Look for the album to easily rank in the top ten (or even top five) when the official results are revealed. (iTunes)
- Currently on top of the Alternative chart with “Lampshades On Fire”, their second #1 at the format and first in 11 years, Washington rockers Modest Mouse make their return with Strangers To Ourselves. Amazingly, this is their first set in eight long years. Despite a delay of two weeks from its original date, this should have a strong finish. (iTunes)
- The soundtrack from Furious 7 is out this week, notable as the final film appearance of actor Paul Walker, who died in a car accident in late 2013. The album features many urban acts, including rapper Wiz Khalifa‘s single “See You Again”, featuring newcomer Charlie Puth. The movie opens in two weeks. (iTunes)
- Sleeping With Sirens had a real breakout with their last album, Feel, and after a change in label, they’re now out with Madness. Given how popular the instant grat cuts from this have been over the past few weeks, another top ten debut is likely for them. (iTunes)
- Other releases out this week include: Great Good Fine OK‘s 2M2H (EP) (iTunes), Liz Longley‘s Liz Longley (iTunes), Marcus Miller‘s Afrodeezia (iTunes), Mark Knopfler‘s Tracker (iTunes), Passion‘s Even So Come (Live) (iTunes), Seth Avett & Jessica Lea Mayfield‘s Sing Elliott Smith (iTunes), Tobias Jesso Jr.‘s Goon (iTunes) and Twin Shadow‘s Eclipse (iTunes).
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “Bethlehem Steel”, a pre-release track from Delta Rae. (iTunes)
- “Biscuits”, the new single from Kacey Musgraves. (iTunes)
- “Cliché”, new from Christina Grimmie. (iTunes)
- “Entropy”, a collaboration of Grimes and Bleachers. (iTunes)
- “My House”, another instant grat track from Flo Rida. (iTunes)
- “Stitches”, a new pre-release track from Shawn Mendes. (iTunes)
With Lamar’s album moved up one full week, next week’s schedule will definitely feature new albums from Action Bronson, Big Data and more. A full preview is coming in seven!