It’s the last big date for 2014, and though the releases are few this week, there’s still something for everyone. (NOTE: some of the week’s music releases may not be out until Tuesday dependent on label availability/iTunes response time.) Here are the albums and singles that are new in stores for the week of December 15:
- Sometimes it takes an “Anaconda” to slither up the charts and make an impact. Rapper and singer Nicki Minaj is in that jungle of jams once again with an Urban radio hit called “Only” and a brand new album called The Pinkprint, her first in two years. Though she’s lost some ground with the pop crowd as a main credited act lately, her core audience will come out for this and another top five album is likely once again. (iTunes)
- In perhaps the one of the biggest surprises of this late Q4 season, R&B singer, songwriter and producer D’Angelo is back on track and coming out with his first studio set since 2000. Credited to he and a backing band, The Vanguard, Black Messiah is being released through his new home, RCA Records. A single titled “Really Love” is due at radio on Monday. Get ready for what could be a blockbuster. (iTunes)
- Coming off two solid performances on Saturday Night Live, pop starlet Charli XCX brings some attitude to the pop world with her album titled SUCKER. It contains the single “Boom Clap”, featured on the soundtrack to The Fault In Our Stars, and current release “Break The Rules”. Originally due in mid-October, the singer should have a nice sales bump before Christmas. (iTunes)
- One would be content if an act released three EP’s and a full studio album in a given year, right? Australian boy band 5 Seconds Of Summer disagrees with this and is now out with LIVESOS, an album full of songs recorded on their recent tour. It features a cover of “What I Like About You”, the group’s current radio single. (iTunes)
- Other releases out this week include: Grizfolk‘s From The Road (EP) (iTunes), James Blunt‘s Smoke Signals (EP) (iTunes), Starbomb‘s Player Select (iTunes), YG‘s Blame It On The Streets (iTunes) and the following Various Artists film soundtracks: The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies (iTunes) and Into The Woods (iTunes).
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “American Beauty American Psycho”, a pre-release single from Fall Out Boy. (iTunes)
- “It Ain’t You”, new from former American Idol champ Jordin Sparks. (iTunes)
- “Just Kids”, a pre-release single from Mat Kearney. (iTunes)
- “Lampshades On Fire”, the return single from rockers Modest Mouse. (iTunes)
- “Let Me Down Easy”, another single from singer/songwriter Max Frost. (iTunes)
- “The Wrong Year”, new from The Decemberists. (iTunes)
- “Yours”, a pre-release single from Ella Henderson. (iTunes)
After some holiday cheer and time to rejuvenate, the normal schedule returns for the week of January 13 when releases by newcomers Fences and Meghan Trainor hit store shelves. Until then, my annual Top 100 of 2014 will be going up here on PGTC. Have a great few weeks and enjoy the countdown!