It’s the most wonderful time of the year… to Rock out, of course. I hope Santa has a few extra guitars and amplifiers on the sleigh for all the good little boys and girls. Here’s what albums and singles are in stores for the week of December 2:
- In 2008, those Aussie legends AC/DC debuted atop the album chart with a huge total for Black Ice, their first set to do so with Columbia Records. Their latest studio album for the label is Rock Or Bust, which may also hit the #1 spot (with a smaller total than their comeback from six years ago, of course.) For a band that’s been recording for nearly four decades with many a classic tune, that is pretty rockin’. Single “Play Ball” is still top ten on Active Rock radio. (iTunes)
- An album leak over a month ago isn’t stopping R&B star Mary J. Blige from carrying on with the promotion of her latest set, The London Sessions. As the title says, it was recorded in England this past summer. Multiple singles have been serviced to radio from it: there is “Right Now” at CHR, “Therapy” at Hot AC and “Whole Damn Year” at Urban and Urban AC. Given her track record on the Billboard 200, a top ten debut is likely again. (iTunes)
- My favorite release of the week, as you probably know, is from the Ohio group Walk The Moon. They have a hot album in stores with Talking Is Hard. It features the single “Shut Up And Dance”, which just reached the top spot on my personal chart and continues to build nicely at Alternative radio. Sale pricing has been huge with this one; where it lands is anyone’s guess. (iTunes)
- Other releases out this week include: Avicii‘s The Days/Nights (EP) (iTunes), She & Him‘s Classics (iTunes), Sundy Best‘s Salvation City (iTunes), Willie and Bobbie Nelson‘s Willie’s Stash, Vol. 1: December Day (iTunes) and Wu-Tang Clan‘s A Better Tomorrow (iTunes).
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “Bed On Fire”, a new pre-release single from Butch Walker. (iTunes)
- “Breaking Up”, the latest digital single from Charli XCX. (iTunes)
- “Right Where You Are”, new from the pop duo Jack & Jack. (iTunes)
- “Spark The Fire”, the followup to “Baby Don’t Lie” for singer Gwen Stefani. (iTunes)
- “Tunnels”, a pre-release single from Angels & Airwaves. (iTunes)
A greatest hits compilation from Country star Carrie Underwood and a studio album from R&B singer K. Michelle top next week’s release schedule, but can they compete with the top-selling Q4 favorites like Pentatonix and Taylor Swift? Those releases and more are coming on Monday night.