The time has come for a mighty mix of music releases to hit retailers in what can only be described as… epic. (The large amount of items, that is, not the record label.) Here’s what albums and singles are in stores for the week of September 30:
- Who needs just one new album when you can drop two in a week? That is the case with the legendary Prince, new to stores this week with a solo set, Art Official Age (iTunes), and a set of collaborations with the Purple One’s latest protégés, trio 3rdEyeGirl, titled PlectrumElectrum (iTunes). Neither release has produced any hit singles on the Hot 100, but the initial buzz should carry the two up the album survey.
- For those of you loving some Country music, two new albums by superstar acts will be going for six figure opening weeks. “Neon Light” singer and longtime The Voice judge Blake Shelton is Bringing Back The Sunshine (iTunes) with his newest album, while Lady Antebellum is aboard a 747 (iTunes) to the #1 spot. Either one could enter at the top, though Shelton seems the more likely of the two.
- Representing for the solo females on the schedule this week are California singer/songwriter Colbie Caillat with the delayed Gypsy Heart (iTunes), featuring recent single “Try”, while newcomer Tove Lo looks to be the Queen Of The Clouds (iTunes) with her debut full-length album. “Habits (Stay High)” is the hit from that one. Both might debut in the top ten when all is said and done.
- Other releases out this week include: Boyz II Men‘s Collide (iTunes), Bryan Adams‘s Tracks Of My Years (iTunes), Gerard Way‘s Hesitant Alien (iTunes), Jeff Bridges and the Abiders‘s Live (iTunes), Lucinda Williams‘s Down Where The Spirit Meets The Bone (iTunes), Melissa Etheridge‘s This Is M.E. (iTunes), Steve Aoki‘s Neon Future I (iTunes) and The Script‘s No Sound Without Silence (iTunes).
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week (and there’s a whole lot of them) include:
- “L.A.LOVE (la la)”, new from singer Fergie. (iTunes)
- “Something In The Water”, a new single from Country star Carrie Underwood. (iTunes)
- “Steal My Girl”, a brand new single from boy band One Direction. (iTunes)
- “Yellow Flicker Beat”, a soundtrack cut from Lorde. (iTunes)
Next week, the madness continues with a huge release from Jason Aldean, plus newcomers Betty Who, Hozier and Tinashe all hit the scene with their debut full-length albums. A full preview is coming in seven!