A hot web star brings some fire to the scene, but not before some more established acts claw their way up the chart. Here’s what albums and singles are in stores for the week of August 12:
- This week’s biggest new release may be an EP that isn’t out until Friday, but it’s sure to make people take notice. I think you know who 19-year-old singer Troye Sivan is; he’s all over YouTube (and the charts) and he makes his major label debut with TRXYE. Single “Happy Little Pill” cracked the top ten overall on iTunes a few weeks back. With top ten pre-order sales in a dozen countries, this is headed for a lofty entry. (iTunes)
- After an album with the trio TGT last year, R&B singer Tank returns on his own with his latest, Stronger, featuring the single “You’re My Star”. It recently reached the top ten on the Urban AC airwaves. We’ll likely be seeing this one debut in the top ten on the Billboard 200; four of his previous solo efforts have done the same. (iTunes)
- With their first album in two years, New Jersey rockers The Gaslight Anthem are back with Get Hurt; the title track is currently top 50 on the Alternative chart. Handwritten missed the top ten on the Billboard 200, debuting at #14, but this one should garner enough first week sales to get to job done. (iTunes)
- Recent American Idol winner Caleb Johnson is out with his debut album, Testify. I can testify to the fact that it won’t do well. With no prominent singles from the effort or promotion outside of a faltering summer tour with the other show finalists, the bargain bin is calling. (iTunes)
- Other releases out this week include: Dilated Peoples‘s Directors Of Photography (iTunes), FKA twigs‘s LP1 (iTunes), Kris Allen‘s Horizons (iTunes), Maurico‘s I Am Maurico (EP) (iTunes) Porter Robinson‘s Worlds (iTunes), Randy Travis‘s Influence, Vol. 2: The Man I Am (iTunes), Sam Hunt‘s X2C (EP) (iTunes), Sinead O’Connor‘s I’m Not Bossy, I’m The Boss (iTunes), SOJA‘s Amid The Noise And Haste (iTunes), Twista‘s The Dark Horse (iTunes) and Watsky‘s All You Can Do (iTunes).
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “All About You”, the second new song in the last few weeks for Hilary Duff. (iTunes)
- “Classic”, new from The Knocks and featuring Powers. (iTunes)
- “Fire”, a new single from singer/songwriter Gavin DeGraw. (iTunes)
- “Geronimo” (+ EP), a new release from Aussie sextet Sheppard. (iTunes)
- “Promises” (+ EP), the debut effort from Ryn Weaver. (iTunes)
Rapper Wiz Khalifa leads the pack of new releases next week with his album Blacc Hollywood, while Chase Rice, Kimbra and Smokey Robinson all land in stores as well. A full preview is coming in seven!