Summer is all about fun, and while you can’t have fun. this summer (at least when it comes to a brand new studio album), there’s plenty of great tunes to go around. Here’s what albums and singles are in stores for the week of July 15:
- Currently standing at #2 on the Alternative chart with the single “I Wanna Get Better”, Bleachers, a new project from Jack Antonoff, is out with Strange Desire. Several other digital singles have been released from the set in the past few months. Though “Better” hasn’t accumulated much crossover play at the moment, both that Alternative audience and fans of the trio fun. should give the singer a solid first week, likely in the top five or so. (iTunes)
- Keeping it mellow on a musical level, the latest effort from singer/songwriter Jason Mraz arrives in stores today. It’s simply titled Yes! Yes, that’s really the title. No, really, Yes! Yes? Okay. Now that we have that established, the first single from it, “Love Someone”, is currently at AAA and Hot AC radio. His last album in 2012 debuted at #1; this could do it with a lower total, but it’s hard to tell at this point. Top five is a given, however. (iTunes)
- Their name is Rise Against, and rising is, indeed, their speciality… at least when it comes to the rock crowd. The band’s latest single, “I Don’t Want To Be Here Anymore”, is top ten on the Active Rock survey and just below there at Alternative radio. Their first album in three years is The Black Market, and in the music market, this will be the act’s fourth top ten album on the Billboard 200. Their previous effort went to #2. (iTunes)
- On the “Run” and looking for her second solo success, former Floetry vocalist Marsha Ambrosius returns with Friends & Lovers. The single hasn’t been as well received on the Urban AC airwaves as her output from three years ago, but the singer still has a fan base that will come out for it. Look for it to be solidly in the top ten. (iTunes)
- Looking for a wild card this week? Look no further than Mandatory Fun, another album from singer and parodist “Weird Al” Yankovic. This one features songs by acts like Iggy Azalea, Lorde and Pharrell all receiving the classic treatment. It’s sure to be good, but will he laugh all the way to the top? (iTunes)
- Other releases out this week include: John Hiatt‘s Terms Of My Surrender (iTunes), Kidz Bop Kids‘s Kidz Bop 26 (iTunes), Morrissey‘s World Peace Is None Of Your Business (iTunes), Puss N Boots‘s No Fools, No Fun (iTunes), Suicide Silence‘s You Can’t Stop Me (iTunes) and Trampled By Turtles‘s Wild Animals (iTunes).
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “Girl In A Country Song”, the first radio single from duo Maddie & Tae. (iTunes)
- “Only Love Can Hurt Like This”, a recent top ten single in the U.K. from Paloma Faith. (iTunes)
Next week, time is of the essence as 5 Seconds Of Summer make their chart debut and a lofty one at that. Who else can beat the clock? A preview is coming in seven!