Something tells me that there’ll be a few ladies spiking sales at American Apparel this summer thanks to a new release out this week… but that’s one for the cash registers, not the music industry. Here’s what albums and singles are in stores for April Fool’s Day, April 1:
- This one is no joke: Australian boy band 5 Seconds Of Summer are out with their first EP, named after single “She Looks So Perfect”, which is already top 40 on the CHR chart. With forecasted sales somewhere between 150,000 and 200,000 copies, it’s looking like a lock for #1 on Billboard 200 even if it really should be counted towards the Hot Singles Sales survey. (It’s only four songs in length and incorporates the single as its title.) Regardless, it’s a great success for the guys. (iTunes)
- I’ve been looking forward to this one for a while. Singer/songwriter Christina Perri is out with her second full-length album, Head Or Heart. Lead single “Human” recently spent six weeks at #1 on my personal chart and is almost top ten at the Hot AC format. As with her last album, lovestrong., look for it to be top five on the album chart. (iTunes) (My review of Head Or Heart)
- Former television stars and now music duo MKTO are out with their self-titled debut album, already a #1 record in Australia. The current single from it is the sleeper hit “Classic”. It’s sure to please the younger crowd. (iTunes)
- In the world of Country music, check out the debut offering from duo Dan + Shay, titled Where It All Began (iTunes), as well as Josh Thompson‘s Turn It Up (iTunes) and a new release from the legendary Charlie Daniels Band, Off The Grid: Doin’ It Dylan. (iTunes)
- The classic acts continue to light up the schedule this week with Leon Russell‘s new covers album, Life Journey (iTunes), and the Robert Cray Band‘s In My Soul. (iTunes)
- Finally, for bigger releases, we also have two compilations in stores today for fans of Jackson Browne and the late Ronnie James Dio. Looking Into You: A Tribute To Jackson Browne (iTunes) and Ronnie James Dio – This Is Your Life (iTunes) feature a number of classic tracks as performed by other artists.
- Other releases out this week include: Chevelle‘s La Gárgola (iTunes), Cloud Nothings‘s Here And Nowhere Else (iTunes), Dan Croll‘s Sweet Disarray (iTunes), Galantis‘s Galantis (EP) (iTunes), Kaiser Chiefs‘s Education, Education, Education & War (iTunes), Lacuna Coil‘s Broken Crown Halo (iTunes), Manchester Orchestra‘s Cope (iTunes), Nick Cannon‘s White People Party Music (iTunes), Nickel Creek‘s A Dotted Line (iTunes), RAC‘s Strangers, Part II (iTunes), Steel Panther‘s All You Can Eat (iTunes), The Used‘s Imaginary Enemy (iTunes) and Thievery Corporation‘s Saudade (iTunes).
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “It’s On Again”, new from Alicia Keys and Kendrick Lamar. (iTunes)
- “Trouble’s Lament”, a new single from Tori Amos‘s forthcoming album. (iTunes)
Next week, singer/songwriter Eric Hutchinson and Country singer Martina McBride are among the new releases, plus Somo makes his debut with a self-titled release. A full preview is coming in seven!