September’s picking up speed with quite a few big releases this week – here are all the ones you need to know about for this Tuesday, September 17:
- The first full-length album by DJ and producer Avicii is making a lot of waves on the internet and could surprise on next week’s chart. His album is called True and it features the international smash “Wake Me Up!”, with a vocal done by Aloe Blacc. The album also includes collaborations with Adam Lambert and the Imagine Dragons. If David Guetta‘s Nothing But The Beat could open in the top 5 in the U.S. two years ago, I think this will, at the very least, go top ten in its opening frame. (iTunes)
- Their single “Ways To Go” is securely top 5 on Alternative radio; now, California rockers Grouplove chit chat up the chart with Spreading Rumours, their second studio album. Seems like it’s been getting favorable reviews thus far (including my own) and should debut in the top ten. (iTunes)
- Three Country crooners tip their ten-gallon hats to the release schedule this week and look to ride their buckin’ broncos into the top stable. They would be Billy Currington with We Are Tonight (iTunes), which includes the single “Hey Girl”, Chris Young‘s A.M. (iTunes), led off by the single “Aw Naw”, and Justin Moore‘s Off The Beaten Path, featuring “Point At You” (iTunes). Currington and Moore are doing better in airplay, but Young’s last album, Neon, achieved more in first week sales. Hard to tell which singer will do best this time around at the moment.
- Singer-songwriter John Ondrasik, better known as Five For Fighting, returns with Bookmarks. First single “What If” has been accumulating some minor spin totals at the AC formats. (Read my review here!) (iTunes)
- Surfing the chart waves this week is Hawaiian singer-songwriter Jack Johnson‘s latest album, From Here To Now To You. Lead single “I Got You” went to #1 on the AAA chart and next single “Radiate” is serviced in two weeks. (iTunes)
- Elvis Costello and The Roots tag team it up on a collaboration album titled Wake Up Ghost. It’s Costello’s first album in three years and the first for the band in nearly two. (iTunes)
- Certified Gold in his native United Kingdom, Tom Odell brings his piano pop to the States on Long Way Down, featuring the single “Another Love”. (iTunes)
- Other albums out this week include Jonny Lang‘s Fight For My Soul (iTunes), MGMT‘s Optimizer (iTunes), Said The Whale‘s Hawaii (iTunes) and Switchfoot‘s Fading West (EP) (iTunes).
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “Collide”, by 20-year-old rapper and singer Jake Miller. (iTunes)
- “Sorry”, a big R&B tune for Glee actress Naya Rivera and featuring boyfriend and rapper Big Sean. (iTunes)
- “Waiting For Superman”, the first single from Daughtry‘s forthcoming album. (iTunes)
- “Work Bitch”, dancing up a storm from superstar Britney Spears. (iTunes)
- “Wu-Tang Forever”, a digital single from the album Nothing Was The Same by Drake. (iTunes)
All the legends are coming out next week — Cher, Elton John and Sting are all releasing on the same Tuesday together! How will they fare against youngsters like Icona Pop and R5? A preview is coming in seven!