Break out your best guitar because it’s all about rock music this week, from the enduring classics to the newcomers. (Maybe there’s a hint of pop too.) Here’s what albums and singles are in stores for the week of July 29:
- With their first album since 2010’s Mojo, the legendary rockers Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers are back with a new album titled Hypnotic Eye. Single “U Get Me High” is currently rising up the top five on the AAA chart. Given that their last effort debuted at #2 on the Billboard 200, I would venture that this one has a chance at #1 given the current pace of sales. We shall see. (iTunes)
- Singer Shawn Mendes isn’t old enough to drink or even drive a car, but the 15-year-old sure is going places with the release of his self-titled EP. The lead single from it, “Life Of The Party”, goes to CHR radio this week. The numbers are going to be front-loaded, but this should easily debut in the top ten next week. Will it break the top five? Stay tuned. (iTunes)
- Rocking out and into record stores this week are new sets from Adelitas Way, Stuck (iTunes), and Theory Of A Deadman, Savages (iTunes). “Dog On A Leash” from the former effort and “Drown” from the latter recently went top ten on the Active Rock survey. Both should at least enter within the top 20.
- Other releases out this week include: Eric Clapton and Friends‘s The Breeze: An Appreciation of JJ Cale (iTunes), Jenny Lewis‘s The Voyager (iTunes), Marc Broussard‘s A Life Worth Living (iTunes) and the soundtracks from Get On Up: The James Brown Story (iTunes) and Guardians Of The Galaxy (iTunes).
New digital-only singles that you can buy this week include:
- “Anything Goes”, from the delayed Cheek To Cheek album by Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett. (iTunes)
- “Bang Bang”, a collaboration from Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj. (iTunes)
- “Chasing The Sun”, a new single from former Disney star Hilary Duff. (iTunes)
- “It Was Always You”, a pre-order track from Maroon 5. (iTunes)
- “POP 101″, new from the Canadian group Marianas Trench. (iTunes)
- “Stay Vicious”, a digital release from The Gaslight Anthem. (iTunes)
- “Trailer Hitch”, a solo single from Sugarland‘s male half, Kristian Bush. (iTunes)
- “You Got Me”, a soundtrack single from singer/songwriter Gavin DeGraw. (iTunes)
- “You Haunt Me”, new from rock trio Sir Sly. (iTunes)
Next week, heavy rockers Godsmack challenge singer/songwriter Andy Grammer and U.K. boy band The Vamps. Yet, will all three fall to the power of a new NOW That’s What I Call Music! collection? A preview is coming in seven!